Thursday, July 28, 2011

She's Here

Payton arrived with a little cry and I got a quick peek of her over the curtain.

She was quiet for a time and we later learned that they tried to intubate her at that time. Apparently she had other plans because she wouldn't let them and started to kick up a fuss.

From there she was crying steadily and breathing room air.

I kept hearing one of the NICU Dr.'s repeat "She's doing remarkebly well".

Payton hung out in the delivery room for a good half an hour where we listened to her cry. Dwayne got to hold her and when they brought her to me she was still on only room air. One doctor said if they didn't know about the CDH they wouldn't have guessed with how she was acting.

I was sent over to recovery and they took Payton and Dwayne to the nursery. I'm not sure when but at one point she did start to struggle breathing and they then intubated her with the regular ventilator.

I got to see her again at around 2:15 in her room in the NICU where she was on a vent with a number of other lines attached to her.

At that point one of the Dr.'s directed that she needed an NG tube (STAT) so they hauled me out of there in my bed and took me up to the postpartum floor.

They had already done an x-ray and just a few minutes ago I learned they were also doing an untrasound. I'm not sure of the assessment of either test as Dwayne's been the one receiving the details (and his NICU learning curve is just beginning).

She's beautiful. Her hair is dark with a bit of wave. I have no idea of birth weight or exact timing of delivery but so far things are well and she's simply amazed us just by being her.
I'm doing well and thus far handling the post op well. No pain yet but have managed to keep my cookies down so far :)

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and thoughts. We are well aware of how incredibly lucky we are for what we have thus far been given and though we still have many obstacles to overcome, we are simply amazed by our new and precious little girl.

9 comments:

Janet said...

Congratulations Renee and welcome Payton!! So wonderful to hear that she was breathing on her own and that the doctors had such good things to say upon seeing her.
Have been thinking of you all day and will continue to send strength and hope to you and your family.
I did get your PM on the cdh website thank you-- I will probably get a blog together at some point to and will let you know when I do.
For now, I hope you are able to rest and recover and that Payton will continue to do well. wishing you all the best-
Janet

Anonymous said...

Happy Birth Day, Payton!!
Excellent Job - Renee!! Just,Awesome!! Love to All, Happy Auntie Bev
I'll say more tomorrow - I am just feeling the Love & the Joy.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you all and welcome to little Payton. She sounds like she will be a strong little fighter. I send you all my love, prayers and wishes for all good things. She has two wonderful little angels looking over her.
Love Grandma Helen

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world Payton! Renee, I'm so happy things are going this well. I've been thinking of you & your family all day. Sounds like Payton's a fighter!

-Dixie

Emma Lunder said...

Congrats Renee! I'm sure that little Payton will be just like her big sister Livy, full of energy and happiness! Been thinking of you all day, and so happy to hear the good news.
:) Emma

Jess C said...

I checked numerous times today, waiting anxiously for some news, thought of you all day. After I finished eating dinner, I grabbed my phone and checked again. As I read, tears starting flowing! All I can say is congratulations on your little fighter! I am so happy that she is doing better then expected! Hugs from my family to yours!!

Miranda said...

Congratulations, I am so happy for you and to hear that she is doing so well! I cannot believe she breathed on her own for so long and that her vent settings are so low! Good job Payton! Praying for all to continue to go well for your family!

Test said...

Congrats and prayers for Payton!

Lisa
Mom to Ramsey,
LCDH survivor
rootingforramsey.blogspot.com

Tracy Meats said...

Congratulations Renee and family!!! She is so beautiful!! What a fighter already....you don't see too many CDH babies breathing room air for very long. Praying for your recovery and for strong and stable days for Payton.

Much love,
Tracy, Ian's mom