Thursday, July 21, 2011

7 down and 1 to go!!

Yup, we (Payton and I) have been in Vancouver for 7 weeks now and we're excited to say that we've only got one more week to go till Payton is born (hopefully 1 more week).

We got a visit from our fav Peri today when he came to discuss a few options.  I realized later that it was more him 'thinking out loud' and really, by the time he described the few options he had talked himself out of them :).

Still, I was very glad to hear how his thought process worked and even though the different options were introduced needlessly, I'd rather hear how it gets dismissed rather than hearing the option then a day later having it be something totally different (which has happened on a few occassions).

The option presented was to possibly do an amnio on the baby's amniotic fluid as they can determine lung maturity through an amnio.  If the baby's lungs were mature then we could deliver as soon as tomorrow.   If they weren't it may give us an indication as to whether the lungs would likely be mature by next week when delivery is scheduled for.

I liked that idea and agreed if the lungs weren't mature by next Thrusday that I'd be willing to wait it out a bit. 

But then the doc mentioned that even if mature now, it would serve baby well to put on a few more hundred ounces by waiting to the scheduled delivery date.

I think the only upside would be if I had another major bleed whether it would make sense to wait (if lungs are not matured) or if it would make sense to deliver (if lungs were matured).

Alas, he talked himself into just waiting...so we're waiting.  Still, I very much appreciated being part of the process and better understanding how important things like a little extra weight and a little bit extra lung maturity really are.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey - I have tomorrow off and no plans - so if you want some company - let me know! Text me.
Megan

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Renee
Excellent!! You and Baby Payton are presently - okay!
Exciting!! In 1 week or so - Baby will be here! Awesome, Renee.
Love you, Auntie Bev