Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Best Laid Plans

On a daily basis I'm reminded of the fact that the control we have in life is minimal and sometimes the Best Laid Plans are just that, plans.

This morning I woke again to bleeding.  My first bleed in 4 weeks (almost to the hour) and when I arrived at the hospital for the first time there were whispers of a c-section.  But I'm getting ahead of myself...

I woke this morning at 2 to another bleed.  Worse than the first but not as much as the second.  I was alone at the condo I was staying at so it was a simple deduction that I needed to call 911.

First Question - Ambulance, Fire or Police?  I answered Ambulance and proceeded to describe my dilemna.

I heard the sirens as I started to pull a few things together (phone, book, wallet with care card) and cringed as I realized they were for me.

I buzzed up the Ambulance attendances and waited at the front door to ride down with them (no stretcher thank goodness).  In the lobby I realized that not only had the Ambulance attended but so had the Fire Department.  How they felt they were going to be of service to a woman possibly in labour still eludes me but I'd be tickled pink to find out.  Rest assured they were quickly waved away by the Ambulance attendant.  I suppose rather than be perplexed I should simply remain grateful that if the Ambulance had flatted on the way to the call, the Fire Department would have been able to get me to my destination just as easily.

I arrived at Women's (again) and sat in the L&C ASS room for about 2.5 hours.  Back and forth with doctors and nurses with comments regarding delivery that day despite me questioning the upside with a sick baby who we've been told is better to hold off as long as possible.

I was then shipped over to Labour and Delivery 'labour' section where I sat for another 12 hours starving and waiting hour by hour for the medical staff to determine that the bleeding had slowed enough to let me keep the baby in even if for another few days.  Days that were explained are still so very important to her overall health and survival. 

It was mentioned a number of times that I sat on the fence...delivery was debated amongst a few doctors and the NICU until it was determined that letting this bleed coast was worth a shot.

BUT - I'm now in the hospital for the duration.  Fortunately the duration is only 8.5 more days. 

I've also been made well aware that each day that 'fence sitting' leans a little more and more towards delivery thus my Best Laid Plans may be up in smoke and I'll have to settle for plans made by the seat of our pants.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeez - well that was a crazy day for you. Anytime you need someone to come and be with you while you're scared and waiting for your family to come down - text me! I will be there as soon as possible.
Honey - hold on tight...literally...8.5 days will go by quickly.
Lots of love,
Meg

Jennifer Tenney said...

Whew! Must have been scary! I know all about best laid plans (Miss Dakota surprised us all- 7 weeks early on Christmas Day - poor girl will have to share her birthday with Christmas for the rest of her life =)). I also learned that there is a perfect time for everything. Many prayers for a smooth birth at the perfect time and a great start for your little fighter!
Hugs,
Jennifer
Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
RCDH survivor
jennifertrafton@hotmail.com

Angela, Tony, Mattiaus and Marcus said...

Hi Renee,

Oh boy! What a night for you!!

Your little Payton will know when the right time is, and will probably have a mind of her own, as most CDH babes do, and do her own thing with everything, including delivery :) Try to get some rest because before you know it life will be crazy with Payton here and the NICU.

You take care & keep your fingers, and legs!, crossed for another week and a bit. Bye for now, Angela

Anonymous said...

Holy, sounds scary - I am glad you are in the hospital, My Dears!
God bless Payton and You - with a safe and healty delivery; See you soon Baby Payton(not too soon)!!
I Love you, Renee: Auntie Bev