Saturday, July 23, 2011

37 weeks!

Today we hit our 37 weeks gestation.  We are officially Full Term :).

Yesterday was a good day with just a little bit of excitement.

I got to see Livy for a bit but her visit ended on a low note as she was super tired and ended up tripping and hitting her face on the corner of my hospital bed.  It was good in a way because one of the things she does for comfort is 'belly time'.  So she laid her sore face on my bare belly and cried...its possibly the last time she'll be able to do that with the current comfort.  Right now my protruding belly is a perfect perch for a crying little girl but in a few days it won't be so easy for her to lay her head on it.  So for both me and her it was a good cuddle moment, one I haven't had in a long time.

I also had a friend (Megan) stop by and bring finger food for dinner.  No 5 star but it was a delicious break from the mundane hospital food.  Megan got dinner and a show as I started up with an uncomfortable contraction followed by frequent braxton hicks which they decided to put me on the monitor for.   

Its important to note that at this point in my pregnancy I 'should' be getting the odd uncomfortable contraction as my cervix begins to soften, shorten and then finally dialate in preparation for delivery.  Its absolutely normal.  But, we want to prevent the normal if we can because that normal could cause the placenta to pull away from where its attached to/near the cervix and trigger another bleed.  I think by now (at 37weeks) another bleed is an automatic delivery and its likely if it does happen they won't try to wait it out. 

I also got a wonderful and very thoughtful gift from Megan.  She bought me a beautiful bracelette that I very much look forward to wearing.  Its safely tucked away for me to wear after delivery since I'm not allowed jewellery while in surgery.  Thus, I opted not to wear it in the event I do bleed and have to take it off in an emergency situation.  The wonderful think is that it has no sharp edges and will be compatable to wearing while handling a baby (no worries about handling a newborne since we won't be for a little while yet).

Yesterday ended with me settling into bed with a couple more 'uncomfortable' contractions but they slowly eased during the night and this morning its back to my usual non-irritable uterus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Renee
Ohh! A cuddle with Olivia - that is wonderful! Nice to hear - that you have visits - it helps to ease the wait. Eagerly, awaiting the awesome news - Take care, Love you, Auntie Bev