Monday, July 18, 2011

10 days and counting

I can tell emotionally that the looming delivery date is starting to worry me.

The last 2 nights I've been having nightmares about babies having surgery and an emergency delivery (followed by a baby in the NICU).

I can also feel my anxiety in my chest when I really think about everything that is going to start to take place once July 28th gets here. 

Regardless, there's still a little ray of sunshine that continues to brighten my days even if only sporadically.  Olivia :).

Over the weekend I got to spend much of Saturday and Sunday with Livy and Dwayne.  I can't believe how quickly she's growing.  There's an ol' wives tale that says if you measure a child at 2 years of age and double their height that's how tall they will be as an adult.

We'll Livy still has 4 weeks to go till her 2nd birthday but I measured her yesterday and she's 1/4 of an inch below 3ft.  If the ol' wives tale holds true, she'll be just shy of 6ft as an adult. 

She's also blowing my mind on how much she's learned.  For quite a while now she's been able to sing her full ABCD's (as she says it, the over achiever who has to add the D).  And she can count up to 13 (no longer skipping the #3).  She tries to go higher but her numbers start jumping around.

She's also understanding the concept of counting objects (as long as they are limited in number) and if asked 'how many blocks?' she'll count each block and stop when she's done (where as about 3 weeks ago she'd count 2 blocks over and over as high as she knew her numbers).

Oh, and the Parrot Stage!  Love it (and hate it because living away from her these last 7 weeks my vocabulary isn't all that 'clean').  She repeats everything you say and its at times hilarious to have a conversation with her as she repeats every word/phrase.

Oh, and our new car - she loves that too.  There are times when I'll put her in on the opposite side of her car seat and about 2 weeks ago she would just climb into her car seat....now its a game of cat and mouse with her climbing all over the car to avoid whatever door your opening to try to grab her.  The 1st time it happened to me we were in a rush and I just thought she was being ansty.  It took me a while to figure out what exactly she was doing.  Once I realized it was a game of cat and mouse I had to laugh...it was so stinking funny watching her have so much fun being chased by mommy...and the little stinker is good at it too.  If she's in the front seat and you open the door, she's already half way to the back, but the second you go to close the door, she's already backtracking her way back into the front.

Its moments like these I'm so thankful for because they fill my mind when I'm missing her and immediately they put a smile on my face...but its also these moments that make me miss her so much more.

I'm hopeful that in 2 weeks I'll be sleeping in my own bed, even if its just for 1 night.  There's a lot of things that need to happen 1st (Payton needs to be doing well in NICU and I need to be recovered enough to be comfortable doing a long drive to and from the city) but I'm hoping that all things go well and that goal can be achieved.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are pulling for you Renee and will be in your corner.
Helen

Anonymous said...

I smile and chuckle to myself as I read this; Life is Wonderful; and soon you will have 2 Joys of Sunshine to Bless your life (Olivia & Payton); Life is Grande!!
Love you, Auntie Bev

Unknown said...

Hey you - I need to get a sweater to you...I know that the baby won't be able to wear it for a while due to tubing issues - but my mum knitted a premy baby sweater for her. And incase she doesn't turn out to be a premy, she is working on a regular sized baby sweater...haha. I hope that you know that my thoughts are always with you - always sending positive vibes your way.
Meg

Anonymous said...

You have two weeks left to do all the resting and reading you want for the next 5 years...Payton will no doubt come out swinging just like her big sis Livy and her Mom! We are counting the days and can't wait to see you. JK