Tuesday, July 26, 2011

37 weeks and 3 days (2 days till delivery)

Today is probably that last 'normal' day I'll have (and when I say normal I'm comparing it to the last 7.5 weeks that I've been living in limbo away from home).

Tomorrow is the eve before Payton's arrival and we have a flurry of activity going on from the arrival of my sister to a visit with Livy to booking us into Easter Seals accommodation.  I also have a 'dinner out-in'.  In that we're planning on bringing outside food 'in' so that I can enjoy a final meal before I'm starved for the c-section and recovery.  Very much looking forward to it.

So while tomorrow is the last day, we've filled it full enough that I'm hoping it destracts me from what lies ahead - the unknown.

I've had many thoughtful moments to reflect on how I was going to feel as delivery neared and of course how I'll emotionally deal once Payton is here.    I wasn't sure if the fear of the unknown was going to consume me or not. 

In the end, I can't help but be so incredibly relieved that we've made it this far.  If nothing else, knowing my body didn't totally give up and instead we've given Payton the very best opportunity to fight her battle with CDH brings unequivacal relief.

From there, it will be Payton's fight and I can only hope that we are there to surround her in as much love and appreciation as possible. 

A number of days ago I said I was going to share some of the expectations of the NICU and from there I failed to follow up on that promise.

Here's what we know/expect and are hoping for:

1. No gifts - Payton's space in the NICU is limited and we simply don't know how much she'll be moved from one area to the next.  Gifts, while extremely generious, can be difficult to juggle/utilize.  We're hoping to make sure Payton's area is 'her own' but want to ensure we do so in a manner that is suitable to her area in the NICU.  

2. If your interested in doing something that will make her feel loved (maybe not today but in years to come as she looks back on the 1st few months of her life) there is an email service offered by the hospital.  All you have to do is send an email to BCCHbestwishes@cw.bc.ca  including:
   Your email greeting (no confidential info)
   Patients full name - Payton Brickner-Kress (must include Brickner)
   Patients Location - NICU (we will update when/if she gets moved)
   Your full name
Your message will be printed for Payton on decorative material which we hope to be able to surround her with (on her bassinette etc).  It will also be a wonderful keep sake for her when she's older.

3. Limited guests - Dwayne and I have decided to limit guests to only include close family at this point.  The main purpose of course is to minimize Payton's exposure to too many noises, germs and disturbances.  Its likely that even once Payton comes home we'll have to limit her outings and exposure to others and often we hear that its recommended to limit this for up to the 1st year for CDH babies.  Depending on how Payton does will depend on how strict we are with her exposure and we thank everyone for being patient with us.

4.  Those guests who do come to see Payton.  Be prepared to donate blood.  We are asking everyone to either donate before they come or donate when they come to see Payton (we'll update any visitors as to where they will go to do so).   In our efforts to try to make the best of a situation we want something wonderful to come out of Payton's time in the hospital.  As a likely recipient of a blood transfusion, we felt it a fitting way to 'give back'.  Since our lives are touched by more than just CDH we felt blood transfusions were a good fit for donations...and its something that, for the most part, we can all afford.   This of course extends to anyone (even if they can't come for a visit) and we would love to know that Payton's presence has touched enough people to encourage them to go and save a life.

That's all for now.  We'll be sure to keep everyone updated even if in little bursts that orginate from our cell phones as we go.

Thank you to everyone who's been there to support Dwayne and I (and Livy).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Renee
God Bless, Your Birthing event with Lots of Love, Perfect Health, Awesome Support Team, Remarkable Doctors & Nurses, and a Miraculous outcome - for You & Baby Payton! - The Angels shine the love of God upon You/Baby Payton!
Always with you, Love, Auntie Bev

Anonymous said...

Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you, Dwayne and little Payton. Much love, Grandma Helen

Rashmy said...

Hey Renee, I was closely following your blogs and am so happy that you have reached so far today! Wish you all the very best of everything you can get. May God bless you and Payton with a speediest recovery.

Anonymous said...

Renee, I'm thinking about you & your family today. My whole heart is with you. Can't wait to see a picture of Payton. -Dixie

Schulz Family said...

Our thoughts are with you Payton and your family. Lots of hugs,

Lindsay, Graham and Grayson