Monday, June 6, 2011

To Much Info (TMI) Blog Entry

You can't say I didn't warn you ahead of time (about what you are about to read) and for the record, this part of our journey is pretty centred around pregnancy and childbirth, so there are going to be some things written (because they do have such an impact) that may not be suited for dinner conversations.   So if you have an adversion to stories containing TMI, then I recommend you skip today's post.

Last night (around 10 pm) I passed a fairly good sized clot.  It was circular (not sure if it was spherical) but bigger than a toonie (a reference possibly only appreciated by our CDN readers) but smaller than a golf ball.

Definitely not a normal occurrance in pregnancy (unless I've alread delivered) but in this instance, I'm taking it as a good sign for 2 reasons (in my usual non-medical opinion).

The 1st reason being, ever since the fresh bleed on Thursday night I've been passing older blood, sometimes in small pockets, other times a bit more.  Certainly not the amount that I passed Thursday night, but enough that I was still actively bleeding (though the blood wasn't freshly pouring blood like Thursday night).  Often, when the uterus has a foreign object in it, it will continue to bleed (and cramp) in order to push out those foreign objects.  While my (very well behaved) uterus wasn't cramping, it definitely was still bleeding (I believe) trying to push out that foreign object (our toonie sized clot).  Since passing that clot the bleeding seems to have slowed and I'm hopeful it may soon stop all together (mind you I have basically been sleeping since then so not much time to test my theory). 

The 2nd reason (and most promising in my once again non medical opinion) is that I passed a pretty good size clot.  It could be that the placenta is still overlying the cervix and this clot originated between the placenta and cervix, but I'm optimistic that passing this size of a clot actually means that the placenta has moved out of the way of the cervix, thereby allowing this little (or not so little in clot land) object free and clear exit from my uterus.

I'm still hopeful that the initial bleed on Thursday was simply the placenta 'tearing' away from the cervix.  The Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor on Saturday night said it was unlikely (since I was still bleeding) but I'm going with option B (or maybe its option C or D) either way, I'm thinking happy thoughts and allowing myself wishful thinking that the previa has cleared and I may get the green light to return home (rather than having to hang out in the city).

Ohh, to sleep in my own bed again with the Little Bug curled up in my arms - what a present that would be.

No comments: