Wednesday, June 15, 2011

OB Appointment

 I love my OB!!  I love that he's practicable and matter of fact.  Just what I need in a situation created even more confusing by multiple doctor's opinions, differing information and guesses. 

First off its important to point out the hierarchy of my maternal care:

I have a Family doctor who (if my pg were normal) would have followed me for this pregnancy.  Due to the use of heparin and our previous complications, my Family Doc felt it was important to be followed by a OB (someone of course who ONLY deals with preg).  Had I only had the Placental Previa to contend with, I, like many other women, would have simply remained with my OB for the pregnancy and delivery (in other words, my OB has lots of previa experience).

Because of Payton's birth defect, we were then transfered over to BC Women's hospital (the only BC hospital equipt to deliver her) and from there we started seeing a team of perinatologists.

Our immediate concerns with this pregnancy is of course the placental previa and the possible impact that may have on me and timing of delivery.

Since the peri's tend to not oversee patients with previa, I have been recieving a number of different opinions on what to expect.

With today's appointment I was so looking forward to hearing what my OB had to say with previa and his input not only supported much of the research I've done, but it also was delivered in an informed manner - much appreciated by someone who's spent so much time researching.

He said bleeding is common and that its likely I'll have another one BUT (exactly like one article I came across) when its the edge of the placenta covering the cervix, the bleeding often stops and an emergency c-section is less likely (ie. compared to when the middle of the placenta covers the cervix.

He also said that the bleeding may be a good sign in that the placenta is starting to pull away from the cervix. He said its likely (especially if its still complete previa at 32w) that I'll still need a c-section (least of my worries) but that any bleeding at this point will likely NOT result in an emergency one.

I'm on a modified bedrest/light activities and he's agreed its a good comprimise especially since I'm now off the heparin. So mild activity is safer in regards to any potential clotting issues.

He once again stated he'd like to come attend the c-section and asked if I had a date yet. I'm guessing we may set one next week if the previa is still an issue. I thought that was cool  but realized that it probably has nothing to do with me and more the novelty of the situation.  Still, I'll take what I can get.

2 comments:

plantitjanet said...

Hi Renee- its Janet from the cherubs site. Just wanted to say that Im so glad I found your blog and have been keeping up with your posts.
Sounds like the OB appt went really well so Im glad you have something positive to focus on.
You have been really committed to your research of all the different possibilities concerning the CDH and the p. previa. and I just wanted to say that its very inspirational. I think sometimes as patients its easy for us to feel like we can't understand everything thats going on-but I know that for me it has made a huge difference to feel like Im doing everything I can to learn more. You have definitely encouraged me to do so since I have noticed how well informed you are. So keep it up if it helps you, but don't forget to trust your instincts and be hopeful.
Thinking of you and Payton and wishing you all the best !

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Renee (Payton)
Nice to hear that you appt went well; and you like your doctor.
Hoping that the p previa clears up; and more positive events come your way.
Take care,
Love you,
Auntie Bev