Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Argentine Shuffle

Many years ago I went to Argentina to work.  It was an eye opening experience and I learned very quickly how different things ran in other parts of the world.  It taught me patience and to never do business in a country that I'm not fluent in the language (and that being kicked out of a country isn't really that bad).

One of the things we joked about was often how much effort you made just to go back two steps after advancing one.  The Argentine Shuffle we used to call it.

It became a bit of a running joke in our lives at time.  You work so hard to move forward only to realize that your no further ahead (or behind) than you were after all that effort.

That's sort of what I feel like today - that I've done a little jig of the Argentine Shuffle.

After moving over to my sister in law's place yesterday, this morning I made the decision to move back to the location I was in following leaving the hospital.

Last night I closed all the windows in her condo (downtown living is too noisy for a small town person) and I woke up to what I believed to be notable cigarette smell.  I had forgotten what it was like living in a condo building - often smelling scents from other tennants, both good and bad.

As someone not used to it, it was noticable indeed.  I later learned that sister in law only sleeps with her windows open (loves the fresh air and the noises doing bother her) thus its a situation that would in all likelyhood have alluded her.

Thus, I'm back where I started...seemingly a lot of effort only to end up in the same place I started in.

This latest hiccup is just another reminder of how much I'm imposing on others hospitality and kindness.  Even if the fit isn't ideal, I'm so very fortunate that I have others willing to put up with me (warts and all) and I'm so very appreciative of all efforts that have been made to accommodate me.

Its important to also mention friends who have opened their home to me but were considered by the doctors to be too far away (and in a different municipality) from the hospital.  They too have opened their home and have made me feel incredibly welcome (and again, I so appreciate their generousity) even though circumstances have meant that I haven't been able to take advantage of their offers.

So, for everyone who has opened their home (whether I'm there or not), acknolegement and a great big Thank You are the least I can do.

No comments: