Monday, June 6, 2011

A few Hiccups in the Road to being Released

So today is calendar day 5 in the hospital.  If you had told me on Thursday I would have been here till Tuesday (tomorrow) I probably would have cried.  I guess its a good thing then that things have unfolded slowly, without too much warning.

As of this morning today was looking like a 70% chance of going 'home' (and when I say home, I mean leaving the hospital).  There was (in my mind anyway) even a good chance I may get to go home to Squamish (recall I was hopeful that our previa had cleared).

So finally around 11:30 am they finally got me down for an ultrasound.  My mom was down today visiting with me so that was good timing.  We expected our scheduled ultrasound (tomorrow) to be bumped up a day and the baby would go through the typical gauntlet of measurements so that we could avoid another ultrasound tomorrow (because we expected to be discharged to day and it would save a trip).

When we met with the ultrasound technician she mentioned "this will be a quick one since we're only measuring fluid".   Huh??  Yes, I wondered what fluid had to do with my bleed and previa.  But hey, excess fluid can be a concern and maybe there's something I don't know about that needs addressing.

So when lying there we told the technician that we were most curious about the placenta since it would determine whether we got to leave Vancouver or not (not just the hospital).  She did a quick look and said, nope, placenta's still there on the cervix.  ***sigh***

Then a quick ultrasound of the fluid (all ok and measuring EXACTLY 30 weeks, 2 days - can't get more exact than that).  The technician was wonderful in showing us a foot (big like Livy's), a hand, a clef chin (yes that worries me), her face and her little nose.

The poor unsuspecting technician didn't know about the diaphragmatic hernia and had to diplomatically ask if there were any other pregnancy complications currently under review - she was relieved knowing we already knew about the diaphragmatic hernia.

Alas, when we came back to my room (and after a walk around the hospital) the MFM doctor came to talk to us explaining that there had been a hiccup in putting the request in for a complete ultrasound for today (allowing us to skip and cancel tomorrow's).  The request to cancel tomorrow's ultrasound was followed, but the other half wasn't.  Thus, we waited the rest of the afternoon hoping to be squeezed in again only to learn that we have to hang tight one more day for tomorrow (and we don't get our old scheduled appointment, nope, we're being squeezed in again though I'm now considered a rush in order to free up a bed - so good news there).

Thus, the previa is still there.  Its possible that it may now but up to 8 weeks of not seeing home - which is ok, not the end of the world, just surreal.

On another note, we're still waiting to see the NICU doc in regards to questions about Payton and what we can expect if she's delivered too early.  When can we start to breath a sigh of relief, how will she be managed differently or how can we expect her to handle prematurity in addition to the CDH.

We put the request in a few days ago but unknown to us, they NICU have been waiting on ultrasound measurements of the baby to get an idea of how much she weights as that will have a big impact on how she can be treated.

So another night, another chance to read all about my adventures here as I sit in boredom typing away.  If I start describing wall paper patterns you know I'm near my breaking point.

No comments: