Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I got to hold her

Last night I came back to the hospital after saying goodbye to Livy around 6:30pm (just before rounds) to see how Payton was doing especially since she had been fighting the CPAP since they put it in at 2pm.

Sure enough she continued to fight the CPAP.   She would settle for 5 minutes then cry for 5...repeat.

I slipped out during shift change and when I returned after the nurse hinted they may remove the umbilical lines soon and if so I could hold her.  So from 7:30 and on I hovered by her bedside comforting her every 5-10 minutes and holding her down when she tried pulling out her tubes.

By 10pm the doctor finally came in and they removed her lines from her belly button - the only thing holding her back from being held.

I then held her for about an hour (until I started almost falling asleep).  The entire time she was in my arms she was wide awake looking around.  Not once did she fight the CPAP nasal prongs and her oxygen levels stayed at 100% the majority of the time. 

The nurse asked if I had a camera for a picture (which I did in my locker) but I told her I didn't need a picture - that I would remember this moment for the rest of my life.

This morning Payton seems rested and isn't fighting the nasal prongs as much.  If it wasn't for her need of nitric oxide they would consider giving her a break from the CPAP (as they did this morning when moving her around and changing her bedding).

Payton has another ECHO this morning to see how her pulminary hypertension is doing (recall its the reason she's on the nitric).  I'm catching up on a bit of work and then going to settle in to hold her again.

Here's a video of Payton sucking on her pacifier.  Its wonderful that she's taken to sucking since she'll need that when we do start to finally feed her.  Last night she didn't care much for it (though took it here and there) but today she looks like a pro.

The debate about feeding is on again with possiblities of trying again today or tomorrow.  The good news is it looks like she's gained a little bit of weight with her IV nutrition so at a minimum she's being fed from somewhere.

7 comments:

Lisa Barlow said...

Oh Renee - I don't have the words. This might be my favorite update thus far. I don't need a picture to see Payton in your arms. I'm so happy.

Lisa

Unknown said...

Way to go! Lots of love!
Meg

Tracy Meats said...

I am sure holding her was a moment you will remember forever. And her just content in your arms...just were she should be. Love the video of her sucking on her paci! Hope it is indication she will have no problem eating when the time comes. Keep up the good progress baby girl and (((HUGS))) to you Renee.

Tracy, Ian's mom from CHERUBS

Anonymous said...

What a great video. She looks like a pro sucking on that soother. Sounds like she likes her mommy holding her. So glad she's doing so well. Way to go little girl!!
Love Grandma Helen

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you. There is nothing like holding your baby. She needs it as much as you do. She is so cute. I can't wait to meet her. Rana

Anonymous said...

Hello, Renee
Cute picture of Payton! Wonderful - you got to hold your Baby Girl - today!! It is exciting to hear positive news surrounding Payton!! And how are you coping? Well - I hope! Love you, Auntie Bev

Danielle & Matt Hallinan said...

Renee -

I'm SO happy that things are going well for Payton! I feel like it's even more special to hold them, knowing that it's a huge milestone for our CDH babies! I'll never take that for granted again. Payton sounds like Annelise....fighting the CPAP! Good luck keeping her calm. Haha! Glad to hear you're all doing well! -Danielle