Sunday, August 28, 2011

1 Month Old

Today Payton is 1 month old. 

We celebrated earlier today with a bit of a cuddle though I was only at the hospital for a short time (its just me and Livy today since Dwayne is out of town so not much time to spend with Payton since Livy isn't compatible with the NICU). 

I was worried that she may be in too much pain but the nurse said that it would allow her the chance to change her linens.  She did well with the handling and by her body actions (despite squaking and crying a bit) were such that we knew she wasn't in pain (no tight fists etc).

Her day unfortunately didn't get better as it went on.

It may be that the pain from the surgery started to set in, or (as her nurse said tonight) that her 'maneouvered' bowels are starting to feel a bit discomfort, or her body is hungry as its no longer getting milk but IV nutrition.  Whatever it is, she's had a restless night.

From what I got from my conversation with her night nurse before going to bed is that Payton's been unsettled and has needed more Tylenol.

Also, her PICC line has become irritated again and been removed (this was her 3rd PICC poor girl) and they have had to place another IV.  Poor Payton has run out of limbs so they shaved a spot on her head (her 1st hair cut) and placed it there (I guess my post yesterday was wrong - they can find another place to put another tube/line).

Its a bit sad for me that I missed it.  Its also a bit ironic in that her 2 year old sister (who keeps being mistaken for a boy because her hair is so short) still hasn't needed a hair cut.

So at least Payton can say she's had a 1st before her big sister.

The wonderful thing is the NICU has saved her hair and we'll be able to keep it in a keepsake book for her.  As I always say whenever I make a drastic decision to cut my hair - it'll grow back.

I also learned that they are now saying that she won't feed till Tuesday.  I'm not sure of the reason's behind the additional delay but initially they said they would be looking to feed her today.  Its obvious Payton's stomach isn't handling things very well right now with her drainage so until that settles its a waiting game.

Tuesday is also the day they will again x-ray her tubes to see if they've managed to migrate down into her intestines to where they want them to be.

I got to say good night to Payton (the nurse put the phone to her ear) and it felt nice to do so. 

Tomorrow is another day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy One Month, Payton!!
Cheers - to Payton - you are awesome Baby Girl!!
Stay strong, Renee - My prayers are with you All, Love you,
Auntie Bev

Anonymous said...

Hard to believe Payton is already a month old. She is truly an amazing little girl. I really hope and pray that she is on her way to being able to go home with you all. Take care and God bless. Love Grandma Helen

Corinne said...

Renee, I was thinking of you on the 28th, that Payton was a month old. Happy one month to her and to you, strong mama. I know that feeling you described of feeling unsettled and then you see your baby and it's all just okay. And Samuel had the scalp IVs too, several of them, and he is still growing his hair back. But I thought it a lovely luxury to worry about his bad haircut after all the other worries. :) You're doing wonderfully. I am holding you close.
Corinne in Calgary
Mama to Samuel, lcdh, 02-01-11