Tuesday, September 20, 2011

She will come home, she will come home, she will come home...

If I keep saying it then it will eventually come true...right?

The Saga of Payton continues.

Tonight we called the NICU on our nightly 'goodnight' phone call and got the latest update on Payton.

Its important that I back up a bit and give a little bit more info from earlier in the day.

While in Radiology this morning (after the tube blow out) the Radiologist attempted to insert a wire into Payton's GJ tube to unblock it.  While working the wire through the tube pulled out of her stomach/jejunum about 4 inches...quite a bit in my books.  When he noticed it he pushed it back in.  From what I could see on the x-ray the tube looked to go back to where it belonged (and I'm assuming he saw the same thing).  Payton was finished with Radiology before 11 am.

At 12pm we fed her her 40ml feed.  She slept and between Grandma and I we held her and rocked her (and burped her and played with her).

At 2:45pm we started her next feed of 45ml.  She gobbled it up and I burped her.  Just as I was about to put her in bed she started gagging and a little bit (a mouth full) of puke came up.  Just the one.

Mom and I left around 3:30pm.

At her 6pm feed the nurse noticed that her GJ tube was coming up her throat.  Yup, the end that was supposed to be in her jejunum (her bowels) was now situated in her throat.  An x-ray confirmed this.

So they stopped her oral feeds and called surgery (not happy that they didn't call us but admittedly we're probably on the bottom of the totem pole for medically related phone calls).

Her feeds are now halted until they decide what to do (tomorrow) and the two possible scenerios are:

1. Re-insert the tube via surgery and once the tube is out of her throat continue working on getting her to full feeds.

2. Remove the tube and work on getting her to full feeds.  If she doesn't tolerate full feeds it'll take another 6 weeks before they'll be able to insert a new tube so if she can't get to full feeds she'll remain in the hospital on a combination of IV (or another PICC) nutrition and oral breast milk.

I understand option 2.  It makes sense and I can envision the process.

I don't understand option 1.  I thought her tube was blocked and not unblockable by radiology.  What will re-inserting it help?  I know Radiology mentioned they can use the old tube to insert a new one (possibly follow a new tube down the old one like they did with her NJ) but with the old one up her throat there's no old tube to follow.

So I'm stumped...I guess we'll learn more tomorrow.  For now, with this possible new setback looming before us the only thing I can do is assure myself that "she will come home" eventually.  They have assured me that no one has ever walked out of the NICU so we're pretty sure that at some point she will come home - with this latest event, it just could take a little longer than we thought.

*** Its important that I mention that I firmly believe that her puke after her 3pm (45ml) feed today was partly due to her GJ tube working its way up her throat.  I'm keeping the faith that she's handling her oral feeds and that this set back with the feeding tube is just a small hiccup and her attempt to rid her body of the contraptions that she doesn't really need.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Renee / Val
I want to agree with what you think - Payton is getting rid of the obstacles she does not need!!
What a special, strong little baby - Payton is! She is amazing! You ladies are doing an excellent job watching over Payton - Cheers for Yous!! I Love you Guys, Auntie/Sister Bev.

Aliwat said...

She will absolutely come home! It's wonderful to read your updates and even though I am so sorry to hear the most recent setbacks (how incredibly scary!!!!) Payton has proven herself to be a true warrior and I have no doubt she will up to full feeds and well back on the road to coming home very very soon. Good luck! Sending you prayers and love, Alison (aka Headabovewater from IVFC)