Saturday, September 24, 2011

Captain's Log - Day 1 (at home that is)

It was a good, albiet short, night.

To back up a bit, Payton has only been on full feeds for a very short time in her life (maybe 1 week out of 8 sporadically spaced out over her 8 weeks).

Yesterday at the hospital we thought we'd give breastfeeding a try before leaving...she was fussing a lot between feeds and the nurse thought she was hungry.

It took a few minutes.  On one hand I 'knew not to get discouraged (afterall, feeding in itself was new for her let alone a different type of feeding) on the other hand, I also knew because it was a new thing I needed to be patient and let her figure it out.

Once she did it was full speed ahead.  We haven't gone back to the bottle yet.

Admittedly she's still going through a few bumps with it as I don't think she's getting enough in one sitting (so she often feeds within 1.5-2 hrs) and she has to work a bit (huffing and puffing) to feed so I think she swallows a fare bit of air.  She tends to spit up after a feed but so too did Livy and if I recall, Livy nursed the same way.

Once to sleep last night she was so content that she slept through her feed and went 4.5 hrs (and I had to wake her up for it).  After a feed and a poop she went right back to sleep for another 3 hours.

So other than being a bit tired (all in I think I got 6 hrs) it was a great 1st night.

Livy likes having her around but I realize that this new love is quite possibly for a limited time only.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! So excited that Payton is home.

Amy Clark

Anonymous said...

Way to go Payton. So glad to hear she likes her feeds.
Love Grandma Helen

Miranda said...

I am so happy for you! How amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello, Renee
Is Payton at home?
If so, Awesome!!
Way-To-Go Payton!!
Love to All, Auntie Bev

Jess C said...

I didn't check yesterday, since it was Abby's birthday, but this is such amazing news! I am sooo happy for you to have Payton home, and now you can all work on getting a new routine as a family! Hugs from up north!

Dixie said...

Such wonderful news!

Angela, Tony, Mattiaus and Marcus said...

Renee, We are so, so very happy for you & your family. Home at last! Enjoy every minute with Payton, give lots of kisses & cuddles, she so deserves it, your little figher. Take care, Angela

Haley said...

So glad to hear Payton is at home! Such good news!

Anonymous said...

O Renee,

I'm so happy the your little angel is home. Wish you all the BEST and ENJOY!!

Love,

Raspberry - Edina