Tuesday, May 17, 2011

1st Milestone Achieved!!

We did it, we hit our 1st major milestone since recieving the news that baby Payton has a diaphragmatic hernia.

Its not a medical or technical milestone - rather a personal one.

It has officially been 7 weeks and 5 days since we learned about Payton's diaphragm defect. That's the same amount of time I was on bed rest with the boys prior to labour setting in. Its big for me to know that we got past that point but also, that I was able to stay sane once again for that long while faced with a high risk pregnancy.

Apparently my sanity is more anchored than I thought.

Things are going well and while hitting that 7w 5d mark is less than half way to the point where we need to go (I still have hopefully a minimum of 10 weeks 3 days left in this pregnancy) the fact that I survived that 1st big step is enough to give me the confidence and hope that we can survive the next 7weeks 5 days and more.

There are still a number of unknowns still looming over us that we need to overcome. One being the placental previa (so minor but potentially so major) and hopefully that issue corrects itself. If I haven't previously described placental previa, its when the placenta covers the cervix (the exit strategy of the baby) thus any dialation of the cervix could result in uncontrolled bleeding - bleeding that may not stop, especially since I'm currently on blood thinners for a genetic clotting mutation. If that happens and the bleeding doesn't stop, an unscheduled c-section would be necessary though not ideal in a pregnancy where getting as close to full term is best for the health of a soon-to-be sick little baby.

In a normal pregnancy, some women can go weeks/months with a dialated cervix, thus, we're keeping our fingers crossed that we're one of those situations where the growth of the uterus is such that the cervix pulls away from the placenta and dialation or not, we can coast along to as full term as possible.

Another hurdle of course will be moving into Vancouver. Currently scheduled for mid July (the 9th to be exact - but hopefully I can push it back to the 16th) I can't say I'm looking forward to it much, but its a stark reality that its only 8.5 weeks before I get everything done that needs to be done around the house.

Alas, as the weather warms up, my to-do-list grows and I just hope that the achievement of my 1st major hurdle is a good indication that the next ?? many hurdles are just as successful.

1 comment:

Mom said...

One day at a time. She'll be here soon!!!