Monday, April 25, 2011

A Second Opinion

It never fails - whether you want it or not, you get people around you with good intentions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly grateful that people care enough to give me their two cents (though I'll admit some just like to hear themselves talk) but its always interesting after everything we've been through (infertility, twins, loss of twins, healthy Olivia and this) how many people offer their advice - more interesting is when they offer their advice with absolutely no experience.

Its not that I don't want those around me to not care as much, but don't be too offended if I don't take your advice (or brush it off).

Anyway, back to my orginal point of this post. Second Opinions.

Its been brought up by a few people whether 'they' (the doctors) are sure about Payton's defect. I've had people suggest that maybe they were wrong with the ultrasound. Or 'are they really sure its that bad'. Or some that have done their own research and said 'oh, I read about it and it sound like its no big deal". Or another's advice that maybe I should see a midwife instead of a doctor as they've known midwife's who have been successful in overcoming issues that doctors have ruled as needing surgery (I'm assuming they're referring to situations where mother's are wanting to avoid c-sections and instead aim for a vaginal birth). Alas, there's a lot of questions still remaining to those who we've shared the news with.

While I do very much appreciate the good intentions behind the thoughts, please don't blame me if I simply smile and change the subject.

That said, to dispell any concerns about whether we indeed need a second opinion I'll run through the gauntlet of how many medical professionals have reviewed Paytons situation and you can determine from there whether this qualifies as something that's in all likelyhood a strong probablility.

Here is the list of medical professionals who have reviewed Payton's Diaphragmatic Hernia:

- 5 Ultrasound technicians (2 at St. Pauls Hospital, 3 at Women's and Children in a total of 4 seperate ultrasounds to date).
- 3 Radiologists (1 at St. Pauls, 2 at Women's & Children's)
- 1 Family Doctor (my family doctor to be exact who recieved the ultrasound photos and called me to give her condolences).
- 1 OB Doctor (who I was previously referred to based on our previous history - also reviewed the initial ultrasound photos and called me in the evening (and gave me his cell phone number) to discuss the hernia diagnosis).
- 1 Dr. who performed the amniocentisis (who specifically asked if he could have a look see at the baby - apparently Diaphragmatic Hernia's are exciting for doctors).
- 1 Dr. who performed the ECHO (the specialized heart ultrasound to rule out any heart issues which are common with CDH)
- 2 Pernitalogists who we have met with and have reviewed all the ultrasound photos (4 ultrasounds thus far) and who have also met with a whole team of Perinatologists about Payton (but we won't count them).
- 1 NICU doctor who reviewed Payton's hernia and spoke with us as to her severity and gave us a wonderful overview of what we can expect in the NICU.

So all in all, 5 ultrasound technicians and 10 doctors (8 of which are specialized) reviewing 4 seperate diagnostic tests.

I think that should pretty much cover it, yes??

Anyway, my other point is that rest assured, we are in good hands and with the number of tests we have had, and are scheduled for, we're pretty confident that they are keeping us well monitored.

Our next scheduled appointment is Thursday, April 28 where we'll once again be seeing baby Payton via ultrasound to determine whether the fluid in her chest has changed and hopefully answer the question as to why I'm measuring more than 4 weeks ahead of where I should be.

No comments: