Monday, December 29, 2014

Odds and Sods

Just popping in to provide an update as time progresses with the prednisone and other medications.

I'm just over 4 weeks into starting the prednisone. One thing I remember looking for was when other people's side effects started to take effect.  Things like when I should see my "moonface" or cravings.

I know I've touched on this earlier but to reiterate, I still haven't had much for cravings.  The pharmacist did say this should have been within the first couple of days of starting the prednisone so now that I'm 4.5 weeks in I suspect that I've escaped the cravings.  Not sure if its due to cutting out a number of foods prior to starting (gluten free, no refined or concentrated sugars and highly reduced salt) or if I'm simply not prone to the cravings.

No cravings mean I've maintained my weight, actually I'm still down a few pounds since starting the diet changes. The only fluctuations I get are when I'm not tight on my sodium intake.

Moods, anxiety or depression. I think I've managed to escape these side effects as well.  Mind you, in all our struggles, ramped up on high dose hormones or post pregnancy I've never been one to have mood or depression issues and so this may have worked in my favour as well.

Moonface.  Around the 3 week mark I noticed that my face was a bit fuller (right around when I adjusted my prednisone to morning for a few days) and it stayed a bit full for about a week.  About 4 days ago (just before the 4 week mark) I noticed it got just a little bit fuller.  I'm not sure if this is "it" or if I'll keep filling out bit by bit but it seems to happen in a very short period of time (ie I wake up and by the afternoon I can tell there's a difference, then it stays that way for a while).  I'm not as full as I've seen so likely I've got some more fat distribution to go but so far I'm taking it as a benefit as my fuller face makes me appear younger :).  And I've been told by many that I'm looking radiant and healthy!!

I still get periodic aches and pains and some "not so great sleeps" but nothing like the first few weeks.  I'm happy that I'll start weaning in another week and a half.  I've tried to find out at what prednisone dose the side effects are minimal but so far no luck.  Dwayne mentioned that our bodies are able to produce around 20 mg so perhaps this is a level that the body will adjust with.

On another note I have been back walking daily.  I notice that for my water retention, walking helps during the day keep it down.  I spent a number of days reducing my sodium levels more and more, or reducing my water because it seemed that by 5 pm over Christmas my ankles and knees were swelling (previously just my ankles) but after a couple days of doing some walking/activity the swelling was just limited to my ankles.

As of today I'm keen to begin exercising my arm more and more and I'm hopeful that I'll even get on my bike for a spin in the garage, maybe for tomorrow?!?!  I think the spinning will be even better for the swelling though the walking is good for impact type activity which should help with the bone density loss associated with the prednisone.

On another note, on January 5th I have my appointment with the Mayo Clinic in Arizona.  I'm not sure what it will bring (any new information or simply assurance that I'm doing well with the team currently following me) but I'll be sure to update when I go.

No comments: