Monday, November 10, 2014

The First Few Days of the Rest of My Life

My first day at St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver was a strange day.  I was given a few tidbits of information, information which didn't mean much to me.  Mostly though, there were a lot of questions asked to me...a one-way communication channel for the most part. 

I did have a name for what I had just experienced.  VT was the only way I could remember what it was.  No phone, no computer for that day I was at the mercy of what little bit of information was given to me and even less of that information made any sense to me.

I still thought that my event was closely tied to my dad's Atrial Fibrillation issues.  It took another day till I realized that our issues (different result in a different part of the heart) were not related at all.

One of the questions that was asked repeatedly was "is there anyone in your family who has suddenly died?".  This question was asked in about 6 different ways (if you can imagine this question being asked in different ways, "anyone in your family who has just died mid conversation?", "anyone in your family who may have drown?" or "anyone who was in a car accident?".  Apparently sudden death in various circumstances can have unfortunate results depending on what your doing at the time.

Alas, it took till Tuesday for me to understand to a very basic degree what was happening.  I had experienced ventricular tachycardia. The tachycardia was coming from the bottom of my heart at the apex between the right and left ventricles.  The ECHO (a fancy ultrasound) showed a heart that wasn't working as it should.  A few metrics were given, 2/3's of how it should be working or 40% (which sounds scary but apparently the average heart works around 50-60%?? if my source can be relied upon).  At this point I had had several ECG's (one while the VT event was occurring) and an ECHO.  From what I understood, the ECG was abnormal and the biggest worry from the ECHO was that my right ventricle wasn't squeezing properly and it was enlarged. 

It was then that I was given the talk about how serious my condition was.  I was lucky and that what was happening was 'very serious'.  Had I been 60 I wouldn't have even made it to the hospital...the fact that I was able to drive myself to the hospital was apparently somewhat of a feat.  For the record I felt fine, even when the VT episode was happening. To a point where, unless I was lying down, I couldn't tell it was happening and I almost turned around to come home thinking it had passed.  Ironically enough there's strong suspicion that I had an episode riding up Legacy Trail and thus I would have descended Angry Midget while having a VT episode...if I can ride a black diamond trail I can sure as hell drive a car...well, unless that pesky sudden death symptom occurs.

On Tuesday they estimated I would be in the hospital about a week and I was moved out of the CCU into the Heart Clinic, a much easier place to hang out and they set a game plan. They wanted an MRI and a signal average ECG.  It took till Friday for my MRI.  The results were available immediately and the results weren't what we wanted.

No comments: