Friday, November 2, 2007

23 weeks 2 days

Well, I survived yesterday (Thursday) and for once it brought with it a ton of surprises.

The first being of course that THIS Thursday marks the FIRST day in November (ya, another month and a clean calendar sheet to begin ticking off).

In the morning I had a wonderful surprise phone call from a dear friend from University, Kirsten (a geologist) who called specifically to 'cheer me up' on my dreaded Thursday (what a godsend).

Then later in the day I recieved another call, this time from my friend Deanna (also a geologist) asking if I wanted company that evening so her and her fiancee (Dale) made the trip up from North Vancouver to spend the evening with Dwayne and I (though Dwayne and Dale did sneak out for an evening of dodge ball).

All in all I'd have to say it was one of my better spent Thursdays since starting bedrest.

And today (Friday)!! We hit our 7 week mark following our PROM. That's 49 days since the rupture!! Which in my mind (and all the statistics I can find) is extremely rare and promising. By no means are we out of the woods yet, but certainly way back when (on Sept 14) there was absolutely no way I would have believed I would still be sitting in bed (still sane) with a wonderfully growing belly by November.

Now my goal is to see another calendar month go by. You guessed it, December. Also, if we can hold out till there's snow on the ground that will officially put us on "bed rest" for 3 seasons!!

Things have pretty much remained status quo until today when I noticed Baby A was executing a rendition of Swan Lake in my belly. I kid you not, this little monster was ALL over the place until it got to the point where everytime he would make a concerted effort to break out of the belly I was feeling a sharp pain in one area. This lasted for about 15 very noticable movements until I was begging him to stop. Finaly he settled but shortly after I experienced a bleed. I seriously think this little gymnast moved so much that he tore something!!! The docs on call assured me that if things have settled (which they did) that I can rest easy for now. WHEW
(for the record, when a baby kicks that hard I call it a boy...when they're sleeping soundly, its a girl).

Aside from that excitement we are closely reaching our 24 week mark. This is a huge milestone as we are now treated differently by the hospitals in that our babies are termed "viable".

On Monday we will take the tour of the NICU unit at Women & Childern's Hospital and have any last minute questions answered by both the perinatologist and neonatologist at the hospital.

Following that we'll begin making all the necessary plans to get me moved into the city so that I'm only ~ 20 minutes from the hospital. So though I would LOVE to go another 12 weeks on bedrest carrying these little ones, I also know that 12 weeks on bedrest in a strange surrounding isn't going to be quite as easy emotionally. Still, I'm bound and determined to make every week/day and hour count and will continue to do so for as long as I can.

Aside from that, I'll sign off and ensure to provide an update on our visit to the NICU on Monday.

No comments: